Saturday 26 September 2009

Whitechapel Gallery - Art Book Fair review

On Friday evening, I took the District Line from nearly one end to the other to see the London Art Book Fair at the Whitechapel Galleries. I have to say that I was disappointed. The subtle change in the title of the exhibition from the old 'Book Art Fair' to 'Art Book Fair' should have warned me that it was not going to be the same this year.
When this annual event was held at the ICA Galleries, you could expect to be confronted by the unexpected at almost every stall, so imaginative were the 'books' on show. They were each and every one, pieces of art in their own right first, and books second. You just would not expect to see ordinarily bound books, which could be bought in a high street shop, in that show.
Now that is not the case, there were 'normal' books occupying most of the ground floor (and I don't include the Whitechapel Gallery's own book shop, an this is a great little book shop).
Upstairs there were still a few unusual books stalls where handmade books could be found and a little of the odd atmosphere lingered, but just not enough for my taste.
I recognise that a great deal of hard work goes into putting on one of these shows, and there were certainly a lot of very tired looking people at the opening in the evening, so I do wish them well. But I can't help wondering - where are all the others who were not 'invited' to the show this year? I want to go and see their show. I will try to track them down and let you know if I find them.

1 comment: